A digital marketer’s survival guide with tips on how to avoid the many common mistakes new businesses make.
Digital marketing is not a strategy that ‘should’ be considered in the future. It has reached the stage where it is a ‘must’ for all businesses – right now. If you are not using digital marketing to attract new business then you can bet that your competitors are.
With so many marketing options available, it falls upon marketers to apply the strategies most suitable to help reach their goals. Here are a few basic tips on how to approach digital marketing and how to avoid the many common mistakes new businesses make.
Save Time by Re-purposing Your Content-This is a great tactic if you are looking to save time. However, this does not mean you will use the same information over and over again in the same form. If you do this, you won’t be seeing a huge change in your results. Try to change certain elements, twist a few things here and there, use different channels and come up with fresh ideas. For example, why not turn an article into a podcast? Or turn a podcast into an infographic or series of tweets?
Interaction is Key-If you are using social media to promote your business then interaction with your target audience is a must. People are going to inquire about your business or engage with you in some way, so make sure that you use the opportunity to show that you value them. Always encourage two way communication and speak to them like you would in everyday life.
Be Creative-Don’t bore your target audience, try thinking out of the box. Use the latest trends and topics to stir up your marketing campaigns. Experiment on your strategies here and there to come up with something new. If there is a special occasion going on, such as Superbowl, use those events to boost your marketing strategy. This not only captures the customer’s attention, it also creates intrigue and emotional investment.
Make it Visible-If you are using an SEO based marketing strategy then make sure your business is easily searchable. Try to include commonly used words in your shared content and on-site text so that your name pops up first when people use the search engines to search.
Leave your followers idle-Once you have established a number of followers, don’t keep them sitting idle. Ask questions and create surveys that take their views into consideration. Engage with them and encourage interaction. Build a community and be “human”. Don’t be afraid to have fun with your marketing. This will make your customers grow closer to you and be more eager to see your products and services.
Don’t Spam-Yes, you want to let your target audience be aware of your new products and offerings, but that does not mean you need to spam their inbox with constant advertisements. If you do this they will soon ignore you even when you have a great product or service to offer. Be consistent with your emails and news updates and create immense value so that they look forward to it. You could try providing value and non-promotional content for 80 percent of the time and then promotional content for the other 20 percent of the time.
The Same Plan Won’t Work Everywhere-If your marketing strategy is based on one social media channel only, then you need to use different platforms and have a different approach to each one. Having the same strategy for Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn is a bad idea and that will harm your business in the long run.
Twitter users naturally accept and are used to a relatively high number of tweets per day. However, Facebook users will not appreciate a high number of posts in their feed each day. Highly visual content is better used on Pinterest and Instagram and LinkedIn users like statistical information or more comprehensive articles.
No Response-A key aspect of digital marketing is the feedback you receive from your target audience and the response you give to them when they interact with you. If you ignore them then they are going to be left frustrated with you or your company. They may tell others and it’s quite common now to see customers venting their frustration with a particular company on social media for large numbers of people to see.
Don’t make it seem like they are talking to a wall. Be ready (or have people ready) to reply and answer their queries. Only then will your online business begin to flourish.As a reminder, please note that we are an affiliate of Amazon, ClickMagick, Coach Glue, Content Sparks, GetResponse, Kris Clicks, NOW Lifestyle, OptinMonster, Rebrandable Traffic, SiteSell (SBI! & Solo Build It!), and other companies where we may earn reseller fees and commissions if a visitor makes a purchase after clicking on one of our images, posts, or links and visits the advertiser's website.
Thank you for visiting our website, we hope to see you again!Mike Conkey